Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Watergate Forces The President To His Knees

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7874636@N04/2461730569

This chapter caught my attention because it's crazy to see how some people can abuse power. In this chapter we learn about how Richard Nixon and his political team used their power to take part in many illegal activities. The Watergate Scandal eventually forced President Nixon to resign from office. The Fourth Estate is the main reason Nixon was forced to resign. Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein, who worked for Washington Post were sent to investigate the burglary at Watergate. Their investigative reporting and help from outside sources such as  W. Mark Felt, who was an FBI official, helped take Nixon down. So I find myself thinking about who can I trust? Do the officials in office really always do what's best for our society? That's where Journalists come into play. I believe it's our job to find out what's really going on.






Image: '"I won't resign"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45750259@N05/4970172070

I like this picture above, because I bet Nixon didn't really think the Fourth Estate would find out the truth about the scandal he pulled.


So I find that we learn a valuable lesson while reading this chapter, if you believe something isn't right, investigate it. Try to find the truth, you may never know what you may uncover. It might be hard to prove your point, but never give up. That's what I have learned from this chapter. If I feel like something is wrong with our government, our society, etc. I want to get to the bottom of it. For example, we all know about Occupy Wall Street. Most people who are getting out of colleges and paying thousands of dollars, can't even get a job. So we fight and stand for our rights to take the higher power, and investigate what is really going on with Occupy Wall Street. 

No comments:

Post a Comment